Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bust






Acrylic, Clay, Newspaper, Elmer's Glue

This was a very challenging project. We spent the first few days learning about how to form different parts of the body from clay. As I continued sculpting, I decided that I would change my original plan and make a goblin. The problem came when the bust came out of the kiln and the back of the head had blasted off. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't put the pieces back together again. The idea for the brain coming out of the head came while trying to resolve this problem. Eventually, I gave up piecing together the shards and created a new head with Paper Mache. First I wrapped several pieces of newspaper together in the shape of a head and then used the strips of Paper Mache to attach it. I then cut open the back and reinforced the strips of newspaper coming out with water and glue to imitate the leaking brain matter. I later painted the brain matter pink. I painted the entire bust with silver paint and then added washes of green and yellow. Once I painted and reattached the ears, the bust was finally done.This project was inspired by Robert Arneson.

No comments:

Post a Comment